Keeping your Pet Safe this Easter

easter dogsEaster is often a time for reflection, family gatherings, hot cross buns and Easter eggs. With many activities happening and festive food around, it is an important time to keep your pet safe. Do not share chocolate or hot cross buns with your pet. Instead, include your pet in activities rather than overindulging them with food.

Chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine – both are dangerous to dogs, cats, horses and birds! Pets can’t break down theobromine and so it builds up in their system, occasionally with fatal outcomes. The symptoms of chocolate poisoning include restlessness, excitement, hyperactivity, nervousness, trembling, vomiting, diarrhoea, increased drinking and urination, increased heart rate, muscle tremors, seizures and possibly death. These symptoms can happen as soon as 30 minutes after eating. If your pet has consumed chocolate, contact your vet immediately.

Hot cross buns contain sultanas or raisins which are poisonous for dogs. The mechanism is unknown but can lead to kidney failure in dogs. Some dogs only need to consume a small amount before showing toxic signs, while other dogs can eat large quantities without showing any obvious symptoms. The symptoms of sultana/raisin toxicity include vomiting, diarrhoea, lethargy, abdominal pain, dehydration, reduced or no urine production, foul breath, mouth ulcers, seizures and possibly death. If you dog has consumed sultanas or raisins, contact your vet immediately.

Eater lilies, like all lilies, are one type of flow that is poisonous to cats and dogs. Even ingesting a small amount of pollen can cause severe kidney failure in cats. The symptoms of lily toxicity include vomiting, lethargy, hiding, excessive thirst, drooling, and foul breath. If your cat shows andy of these signs, contact your vet immediately.